Welcome to my Blog

I am a semi-retired former Scottish trade union policy wonk, now working on a range of projects. This includes the Director of the Jimmy Reid Foundation. All views are my own, not any of the organisations I work with. You can also follow me on Twitter. Or on Threads @davewatson1683. I hope you find this blog interesting and I would welcome your comments.

Monday 22 February 2010

Scotland United

We were in Edinburgh on Saturday supporting the Scotland United march and rally against racism and fascism.



The march was called to counter plans by the so called Scottish Defence League to march in Edinburgh. In reality this is the English Defence League, a particularly nasty BNP spin off. About 100 turned up in the city and spent a few hours corralled in pubs before heading back down south. Same result as in Glasgow last November, when they last tried to show their faces in Scotland.


In contrast over 2000 people turned up to the Scotland United rally to hear speeches from the Cabinet Secretary for Justice, the Leader of Edinburgh City Council and Scottish Labour Leader Iain Gray amongst others. The key message is that we won’t allow Nazis to terrorise our communities. 2-0 to Scotland – don’t bother coming back.




No comments:

Post a Comment