Welcome to my Blog

I am a semi-retired former Scottish trade union policy wonk, now working on a range of projects. This includes the Director of the Jimmy Reid Foundation. All views are my own, not any of the organisations I work with. You can also follow me on Twitter. Or on Threads @davewatson1683. I hope you find this blog interesting and I would welcome your comments.

Monday 16 August 2010

Council Tax freeze

A very welcome intervention today from the Leader of Glasgow City Council calling for an end to the Council Tax freeze.

This is something UNISON Scotland has long argued for, because continuing the freeze will add to the scale of damaging cuts to services around the country. Local authorities should be able to raise funds through the council tax. Using the tax system is much fairer than raising charges for services. Charges hit those on low incomes hardest and the council tax freeze benefits the wealthy disproportionately.

Whilst many leaders have voiced their concerns over the Council Tax freeze privately, Gordon Matheson is the first to speak out. In the current financial climate, a tax freeze is simply not viable.

No comments:

Post a Comment