Welcome to my Blog

I am a semi-retired former Scottish trade union policy wonk, now working on a range of projects. This includes the Director of the Jimmy Reid Foundation. All views are my own, not any of the organisations I work with. You can also follow me on Twitter. Or on Threads @davewatson1683. I hope you find this blog interesting and I would welcome your comments.

Sunday 30 May 2010

UNISON Welfare

I spent a very pleasant Sunday with UNISON members, their families and friends in day of fun to celebrate the Centenary of the founding of the unique Welfare Fund run by UNISON in Dunfermline's Pittencrieff Park.

Members participated in a sponsored 5K walk around the park and took part in the various activities arranged for children and family members. The event was opened by John Park, Labour MSP for Mid Scotland and Fife.

Two enterprising members from our South Lanarkshire branch were sponsored for cycling the 60 miles from Hamilton to Dunfermline. Activities included bouncy castles and other inflatables, face painting, balloon modelling, children’s races, and a raffle to raise funds for the Welfare Fund’s Centenary Appeal. The new Labour MP for Dunfermline, Thomas Docherty made the raffle draw.

UNISON Welfare is a very special service that helps many thousands of members in difficulty every year. In the current financial climate this support could be even more vital in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment