Welcome to my Blog

I am a semi-retired former Scottish trade union policy wonk, now working on a range of projects. This includes the Director of the Jimmy Reid Foundation. All views are my own, not any of the organisations I work with. You can also follow me on Twitter. Or on Threads @davewatson1683. I hope you find this blog interesting and I would welcome your comments.

Wednesday 30 June 2010

Scottish Water

The Water Industry Commission for Scotland has published their annual report today.

It shows that water bills in Scotland are £20 less than the average for England, despite the additional costs the industry faces north of the border. At the same time, customer service levels have improved markedly, leakage has been cut by around 36%, and more than £5.5 billion has been invested in maintaining current assets, and improving drinking water quality and environmental performance.

All of this demonstrates the success of Scotland's public service model. Not that you would know that by reading the report. The pro-privatisation WIC Chief Executive makes constant references to Scottish Water as 'the company'. It isn't - it's a public service and an essential one at that.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment